These lovely people at The Broke and the Bookish host this every week!
There are several things that make me shriek and hug a book and read it 18,000 times. Then, there are things that make me shriek and throw one back on the shelf. Here are some of those things:
1. Verse/Poetry : I try. I try to like verse. I just don't. Even in my literature classes at school. I hate it. I can't read meter properly and I just don't enjoy reading it. Especially not as much as prose.
2. Pregnancy/Motherhood : I am so very far away from this, and it's not something I'm even remotely interested in reading about. At all.
3. Vampires : There was that whole craze. Once. I read the Sookie books, I did some Ann Rice, and a few other ones that turned out to be great. But, I think Twilight killed it for me. That book was so badly written it pushed me to the extreme, and now I avoid vampire books at all costs.
4. Vernacular/Casual dialect : GUYS, I HATE THIS. When people speak with two letter words with 3 apostrophes. I can't tell what words they are, and I don't want to have to work to read a simple paragraph. This is one of the biggest turn offs for me.
5. Grief/Death : Now this one is different. I will read these books. But it's not something I run to. I like when characters die at the end, it makes the story heartfelt. But at the beginning, dealing with one living with a friend who died or grieving in some way for the whole book just makes me sad. And I'm a happy book lover (see what I did there?).
6. Complicated Worlds : I love a good fantasy. But generally I won't pick one up unless I love the author or hear excellent things from a lot of people. It's difficult to create whole universes, and I can't handle muddling through a confusing and poorly written one.
So this isn't really top 10, just 6. I read pretty much anything, but these are the few things that make my face cringe and I want to run away and get something else.
What about you all? What makes you grimace in books? Also, based on my list, am I missing something amazing because I probably won't pick it up?